The Right Honourable Tan Sri Dato' Seri Zulkefli bin Ahmad Makinudin
Chief Judge of Malaya
PSM, SPMP, DPMP, SMJ, PIS
The Right Honourable Mr. Justice Tan Sri Zulkefli bin Ahmad Makinudin was born on March 28 1951 in Ipoh, Perak. He had his early education at St. Michael’s Institution, Ipoh, Perak and Maktab Tentera Di-Raja, Sungai Besi, Kuala Lumpur. His Lordship then read in the University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur and obtained Bachelor of Laws (LLB)(Hons), thereafter obtained Master of Law (LLM) at the University College, University of London.
Upon graduation his Lordship started his career as follows:
- 15.7.1976 – 30.10.1976 - Appointed as Deputy Public Prosecutor, Attorney-General Chambers, Kuala Lumpur.
- 1.11.1976 – 31.12.1978 - Appointed as Deputy Public Prosecutor, Department of Customs & Excise, Kuala Lumpur.
- 1.1.1979 – 15.6.1982 - Appointed as Federal Counsel, Department of Income Tax, Kuala Lumpur.
- 16.6.1982 – 30.9.1982 - Appointed as Legal Adviser, Ministry of Trade & Industry, Kuala Lumpur.
- 1.10.1982 – 31.9.1983 - Master of Law at University of London.
- 15.10.1983 – 31.10.1984 - Appointed as Legal Adviser, Ministry of Housing & Local Government, Kuala Lumpur.
- 1.11.1984 – 31.5.1985 - Appointed as Senior Federal Counsel, Department of Income Tax, Kuala Lumpur.
- 1.6.1985 – 31.12.1987 - Senior Federal Counsel, Sarawak, Kuching.
- 1.1.1988 – 15.2.1992 - Appointed as State Legal Adviser, Johor.
- 16.2.1992 – 30.11.1992 - Appointed as State Legal Adviser, Selangor.
- 1.12.1992 – 31.10.1994 - Appointed as Chairman of the Advisory Board, Prime Minister Department.
- 1.11.1994 – 11.1.1996 - Appointed as Judicial Commissioner, High Court of Malaya.
- 12.1.1996 – 16.6.2005 - Elevated to be High Court Judge, High Court of Malaya.
- 17.6.2005 – 4.9.2007 - Elevated to be Court of Appeal Judge, Court of Appeal, Malaysia.
- 5.9.2007 - 13.9.2011- Elevated to be Federal Court Judge, Federal Court of Malaysia.
- 12.9.2011 till todate - Chief Judge of The High Court in Malaya
His Lordship held a number of posts as follows:
- Chairman of the Appeal Board, Board of Engineers, Malaysia (2001 – 2002).
- A member of the Board of Advisory, Law Faculty, University of Malaya.
- A member of the Judicial Appointments Commission [“JAC”].
- A member of the Judicial and Legal Services Commission.
- A Judge at many Moot Courts conducted by the Universities in Malaysia.
His Lordship has also attended and represented the Malaysian Judiciary at International Forum and Seminar as follows:
- The Study Tour of California Judicial/Legal Systems in San Francisco, San Diego and Los Angeles. (14 to 25 July 2002).
- The “50th Anniversary of the New York Convention: Challenges for the Judiciary” Conference in Beijing, China on 12 December 2008 and presented a paper entitled “Enforcement Of Foreign Arbitral Awards And Judgments In Malaysia – The Extent Of Success In Its Execution As Seen From The Development Of Case Laws”  1 CLJ xxxv.
His Lordship is married to Datin Rohani Bt. Mohamed Kassim and blessed with five children, Rafizul Elmi, Rashidi Elmi, Razman Elmi, Zuraida Elma and Zuhaila Elma.
His Lordship was conferred the honours of Pingat Ibrahim Sultan (PIS) in 1990, Setia Mahkota Johor (SMJ) in 1992 and Dato’ Paduka Mahkota Perak (DPMP) in 1996.
Chief Judge's Chambers
Federal Court of Malaysia
Level 5 Southern, Palace of Justice